About the metric
Diversity in the workplace is the idea that your team should reflect the general makeup of the society around you. Diversity is also about including different ideas, backgrounds, variety of thought, and opinions in key decision making. The organization should be made up of a variety of different types of people, from different backgrounds and experiences. This can include diversity in regard to gender, socio-economic levels, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability status and other identities.
Diversity recruiting is the practice of hiring candidates using a process that is free from biases for or against any candidate. The goal is aimed at finding the best possible candidate for open searches, but it’s structured to give all applicants an equal opportunity.
Why having a diverse workforce is important to Cornell?
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. Diversity and uniqueness are valued as a means of advancing an inclusive working, living, and learning environment. Cornell aims to employ highly qualified individuals who contribute to the overall success of the university’s strategic goals. The university endeavors to cultivate the broadest and most diverse applicant pool possible in order to create the most effective and productive workforce, which is critical to fulfilling the university’s mission and to supporting ongoing operations. When we diversify our workforce, we increase university’s stability, productivity, innovation, and more. Diversity also provides many tangible benefits for performance, innovation, and productivity.
Actions and Initiatives
- Audit job ads. Ensure the language in position ads is inclusive and speaks to a broad range of candidates.
- Targeted outreach. Proactively connect with individuals and associations from a variety of different and diverse sources.
- Referrals. Tap into the diverse networks of current faculty and staff.
- Internships and fellowships. Offer internships or fellowships to targeted groups
Resources and Readings
- 12 ways to improve your diversity recruiting strategy
- 5 Steps to Improve Diversity Recruiting
- Want Diversity? 15 Recruiting Tactics To Attract A Wider Range Of Candidates